Max started Martial Arts in May of 2008 at the age of 11. It was a sport that he had always been interested in, but he was already busy playing hockey. He made the switch to enrolling at Bae’s Martial Arts, and has not looked back.
Among his accomplishments are the following:
- Diamond Nationals – Max has competed in this tournament for three years. In these three years, he has earned 6 First Place, 3 Second Place and 4 Third Place.
- In 2008, 2009 and 2010 – Max was awarded Best in Test.
- 2010 – Max won the following – Competitor of the Year, Forms of the Year, Student of the Year, and Intermediate Grand Champion.
- 2011 – Max won Student of the Year, Sparring Competitor of the Year, and Competitor of the Year
- 2012 – Max won Sportmanship Award, Weapons Competitor of the Year, Competitor of the Year, and Forms Competitor of the Year.
- In 2011 Max attended his first WKC Canadians’ tournament where he won a Gold Medal in Point Sparring, earning him a spot on Team Canada.
- In 2012 Max made Team Canada again, at the WKC Canadians, this time finishing second overall in Korean Forms.
- In 2012 Max won a Silver Medal in Korean Forms at the WKC Worlds.
- In December 2012, Max earned his Junior Black Belt.
As Max is now nearing the age of 16, life changes – new job, heavy class load in Grade 11 (he wants to be a software engineer), a social life, playing in the Advanced Guitar Ensemble in High School, but Max’s goal is to continue training at Bae’s, and to help coach and mentor the other students at the school.